Baby has just arrived in your life. Anxiety, stress, fear of doing the wrong thing... We have all gone through these emotions out of love for this fragile little being. And when it comes to carrying baby, it's the same thing: we are afraid of not holding him properly and of hurting him.
To know how to hold a baby well, always keep in mind: respect his natural position, spine in a "C" shape at birth, narrow hip distance, grouped limbs. The aim is to carry your baby in a physiological way.
And if it were very simple? We will guide you step by step.
Picking up baby from the bed or a flat surface
A newborn baby does not have enough strength to hold its head, so it is very important to support it as much as possible.
It will take about 4 months before your baby can hold his head on his own.
- Slip one hand under their bottom (between the legs) and the other under the shoulder and neck
- Roll baby onto his side to allow his head to rest on the shoulder and prevent him from falling backwards
- Lift him up, baby will be contained and reassured during the lift because his limbs will stay together and his knees will be well positioned.
Why not hold a baby under the arms?
We may be tempted to lift baby by going under the arms but this is a very bad idea as his unsupported head goes backwards and suffers like "whiplash".
Carrying positions with arms
On the forearm
Practical for calming colic, this position consists of positioning baby horizontally on your forearm.
- Pass a hand between baby's legs
- Place baby on your forearm, head towards the inside of your elbow
- You can put your other hand on his back to reassure him even more
This position helps the baby's overall muscular relaxation and facilitates digestion.
Sitting on the arm
- Hold baby in fetal position
- Form a wide seat with your forearm
- Supporting the support with your cheek
- Tilt his pelvis
If you hold his head and respect his natural position, everything will come naturally!
Know that babywearing in a sling or an ergonomic baby carrier is a real comfort for you and your baby. You keep your hands free while enjoying having baby against you in a physiological position.
Would you like to enjoy babywearing and carry your baby well? Take advantage of the support of Love Radius, experts in babywearing since 2007.
|MORE ABOUT BABY WRAPS||MORE ABOUT BABY CARRIERS||MORE ABOUT BABYWEARING COURSES|
Safety instructions for carrying your baby properly
Whether in a sling or directly in the arms:
- The airway must be clear
- Baby should be observed during carrying
- Do not do dangerous activities when carrying baby
- In a sling / wrap / baby carrier :
- Carry near enough to kiss
- Don't cover him too much (summer and winter)
We are at your disposal if you need advice :). And above all, trust yourself!