Aaaaaah the choice of bottle or breastfeeding: complicated, we agree. Between the guilt-tripping comments of some and the opinions of others, it's hard to take a stand. Yet, and fortunately, the choice comes back to the mother (yes yes, her body, her choice!).
Breastfeeding VS bottle: the nutritional point
Mother's milk contains all the nutrients necessary for the good development of baby. Its composition, moreover, varies over time and according to the needs of his child. At birth, the infant is entitled to colostrum for 3 days before having access to breast milk.
At first rich in water and sugar, it becomes thicker and richer in fat as the weeks go by.
And, very importantly, it contains the mother's antibodies, which will come to strengthen baby's immune defenses!
Infant milk is an artificial milk also composed of all the nutrients that baby needs. Depending on the age of baby, the composition changes. Only, it does not contain the antibodies of the mother...
Pros and cons of breastfeeding
- Free (uh yes no small savings you saw the price of diapers ????)
- No doubt about which milk to choose
- Perfect composition (A rated on Yuka) rich in antibodies for baby's development
- Perfect temperature
- Reduces risk of food allergies
- Faster weight loss for the mom (that's pretty cool)
- Lower risk of breast and ovarian cancer
- Skin-to-skin contact that emphasizes bonding
- Ability to breastfeed anywhere without (too much) organization
- Possible pain and sores (cracks, stretch marks..)
- Need to avoid alcohol, tobacco and coffee consumption (is this really a drawback? Let's think about your health...:) )
- The Dad / The other Mom can feel excluded from this moment of sharing
- May be constraining for the Mom to have baby glued to the breast all day
- Difficult to know the quantity drunk which can distress some parents
Pros and cons of the bottle
- Less mental load with a possible split with the spouse to breathe
- Mom can rest and the meal is done in a more regular rhythm
- No dietary constraints (yes yes we see you with your glass of red wine)
- Baby clamors less often
- No antibodies in the milk
- Organization to prepare
- bottles to sterilize
- milk to heat
- Bag to carry everything
- It's expensive! (bottles, milk doses, nipples, bottle brush..)
Possibility of bottle-feeding
It is possible to combine the two!
Feeding breast milk in bottles
You can totally pump your milk and put it in bottles so that there is a relay with the spouse or relatives. This provides relief while allowing the creation of new bonds between baby and his other parent.
There are manual or electric breast pumps that reproduce baby's sucking. The milk can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator (your job to stock up!).
Mixed breastfeeding is alternating between putting the baby to the breast for breastfeeding and preparing a bottle for your baby.
So you can give breast milk in a bottle but can also prepare your bottle with infant milk. The transition may be a little complicated for baby who may be picky about it but some babies adapt very well.
|Carrying in a sling or baby carrier is very convenient for discreetly breastfeeding while hiding your chest anywhere or giving a bottle :)|
|I DISCOVER||I DISCOVER|
Finally, mom's choice!
Breastfeeding is the most recommended for baby's needs. However, it is better to have a bottle given with love and serenity than an anxious breastfeeding for the mother. Baby's environment is just as important for his or her proper development.
Test breastfeeding, if it doesn't work for you, that's okay! Don't listen to guilt-tripping speeches, listen instead to your needs and those of your child :)
And if necessary, ask for advice from a health professional who will be able to reassure you and accompany you.